Friday, December 17, 2010

A Long December

It's almost time for our much-needed Winter Recess.  After our two nights of music programs last week and all of the other activities associated with the holiday season, I feel like the month of December has been very long and tiring.  Like the students, I am ready for a little rest and relaxation.

Speaking of the Christmas programs, I was extremely proud of our awesome students for bringing some of our most beloved Christmas songs to life on the stage.  We had great attendance for both nights.  It was so nice to see the auditorium filled with parents and other loved-ones.  I received many wonderful and encouraging responses to the program.  It seems like our closing song, O Holy Night, was everyone's favorite part of the program.  I have to say, it was my favorite part too.  There's nothing like hearing a whole auditorium full of people singing together.  Thank you to all of the parents who brought their students to the programs, and thank you to all of the loved-ones who attended the programs.  I wish you all a happy holiday season.

I am looking forward to the next semester.  Last year I was able to create some very fun learning centers for the third grade.  This year I am hoping to expand on that and create learning centers for more of the grade levels.  Fifth graders will be playing recorders, and learning about composers to prepare for our trip to the Indianapolis Symphony.  Sixth graders are going to be exploring the roots of popular music.  At the end of our unit, they will be doing a fun Create-A-Band project.  Fourth graders are going to begin working on songs and square dances for Pioneer Day.  Third graders will be learning how to read music through the use of a story about a man named Mr. Everybody and his musical apartment.  First and second grade students will be singing some of my favorite songs from our textbooks.

Well, that's about all I have to report on for now.  Stay warm, and have a restful Winter Recess!

Counting Crows

No comments:

Post a Comment